Thursday, June 29, 2006

2nd Round

Well it's been a while since my last post. I played the Captains prize, played in an Am Am in Galway's best course and nearly won a prize at it to boot. I also scored a net 72 in last week's competition and played in the 2nd round of the club matchplay.

Where to start. I'd been playing some decent golf, relativly speaking, in the week up to the Captain's prize. So I was more than hopeful of making it through to the following week. By the time I teed off it had started to rain. I didn't let up until we were called in after the 9th hole. I had started off shakey enough, having to hole a 10 foot put to keep it to a 6 on the first. Then after a couple of bad shots on the 2nd I was 3 over after 2. I stood up on the 3rd tee and caught the ball very heavy. It landed just in front of the womens tee. Bad. Very bad. What was worse was my second shot very short of the green. It started to turn then. I took out my sand wedge and hit it to about 8 feet which I duly knocked in. I felt a bit of confidance returning.

I managed to par one of the next 6 holes and bogey the rest, excluding a 6 on the 7th and a 7 on the par 5 8th, leaving me 10 over after 9. The rain when we were coming up the 7th and going dwn the 8th was unbearable. The course was also starting to flood. Some of the greens were unplayable. We got called in just as we were finishing out the 9th.

An hour later we were back on the 10th tee. I managed to bogey it along with the 11th. So after 11 holes I was 12 over which was going great, considering I'm playing off 21.

Then came the 12th and 13th. A 10 was taken on the 12th with two balls out of bounds. Round over. To compound that, I took a 8 on the par 4 13th. My playing partner was still in with a chance so I played on. He was finished after 14 though so we went in after the 15th.

On Friday last I played Galway Golf Club, in Salthill. Class. I had 35 points, with 36 points good enough for a prize. Loved playing in there though. Really enjoyed it. Driving a little erratic but I got around.

I played match yesterday evening. Teed off at 5pm and was in for 8pm. Got bet on the 16th. I'd been driving really well but it my drive on the 16th into the trees. My opponant saved his best drive of the match. Straight down the middle, and long. I had a decent shot out with only a small branch in my way. I hit it of course. A 1 in 20 shot. I gaurantee that if I tried to hit the branch 20 times I wouldn't do it. It finished up behind another tree. I was left with no shot but to knock it out sideways. I had a put for a 6 to put a small bit f pressure on - it would have left him with only 2 puts to win but I missed and conceded.

I was happy enough at how I played though so I wasn't too disappointed. But I had a couple of chances to win holes that I didn't take. If I had of made those shots............If..........

No comments: